Friday, July 17, 2009

A Long Way From Last Year

I never thought something as ridiculous as the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale would mark a milestone in my life, but when I got the catalog in the mail last week, it made me cry. (Bear with me - this is going to make sense in a minute.)  

Last year at this time, the Ethiopian ministry that sets the qualifications for adoptions issued a statement that two parent families were preferable, and that single women should only be considered for adoption approval as "a last resort."  I didn't know at the time that things would get worse before they got better as a single trying to adopt, but at the time, reading that in print was devastating enough.  In my sadness, I went to the Nordstrom sale and bought these shoes:
and learned the lesson that depression can be expensive. As lovely as these shoes are, I've always thought of them as my Last Resort Shoes. But last weekend, I wore them to a shower thrown by my lovely friends for my little girl.  My. Little. Girl!  Now I am designating these my Happy Shoes. It's hard to believe a whole year has gone by, and amazing to think about all the ups and downs (oh, the many downs) of the last 12 months that I thought had ended this chapter, and how, as corny as it sounds, all of them have led me here - the countdown to pick up my beautiful daughter, Ellis Hiab. 

So, I got the Nordstrom anniversary catalog this week. And when we get home, instead of self-medicating with Kate Spades and trying not to burst into tears before I make it out of the store, I am planning to take Ellie to the Nordstrom sale for her first pair of Happy Shoes.  :)  What a difference a year makes.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to be the first to comment on your blog. Happy shoes... love it! Hiab is such a beauty. I can't wait for you to hold her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm up at 4 AM with my own beautiful little girl who decided that she was not going to sleep this morning. Maybe the excitement knowing that her "aunt" is heading out today to get her new "cousin"? I can't blame her. So, I'm in tears and know how long this journey has been. But it was the right now - God meant for you two to be together and it was all just a matter of time and patience. Loving both of you!
    "Auntie Shell"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story! It's simply amazing how everything works out just as it was supposed to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story, Heather...I can't wait to meet Ellie...sounds like a good reason to visit from VA! You're both in my prayers and I can't wait for you to be back on Texas soil!
    Love,
    "Aunt Martha" (You know, every child needs one!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dig it! Red shoes...Cool kid...What more could a mom want?!? I suggest a dual bronzing with Ellie's first stride rites! I know a guy that can make that happen--love to you both--faye

    ReplyDelete